Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Backyard Bliss


At a garage sale a few summers ago I scored old issues of Martha Stewart Living. Many of the issues go back as far as the mid 1990's. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful food and flower photography. Then I realized there were many relevant DIY ideas like the outdoor canopies shown above. These canopies add instant atmosphere and intimacy, not too mention sweet relief from the sun, to driveways and backyards alike. I love the notion of turning a boring driveway into another living space especially if you are lucky enough to have a privacy fence or gate for seclusion. This is just the kind of excuse I need to hit the flea markets for vintage fabric and comfy lounge furniture. Both canopies were made from simple materials and can be taken down easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment